Saturday, November 26, 2011

A year abroad and a year without bananas

Excuse the cheese for a bit, but it's time for me to take a look back.

It's been a little over a year since I've left home, the city of Angels, and embarked on this journey called life.  My love for traveling and exploring more of this world has certainly been an eye-opening experience and that's what I love about it: I never stop learning.  It's through the problems and challenges we are faced with that each time that we are able to grow from them.

As Thanksgiving is a time to sit back, reflect, and give thanks, I do have to admit - I'm quite the fortunate person to have so many wonderful people in my life and for that, I am grateful.  When people ask, "what do you miss most?" I simply respond with my 3 F's: "Family, Friends, and Food."  The ongoing support that I receive is what holds me together.  Though I may be miles kilometres apart from some, there's no doubt in my mind that those relationships can still flourish.  Sometimes, it's as easy as picking up from where you last left off.

After being here in Sydney, Australia for quite some time, it was only within the recent months that I've felt at "home."  Home for me will always be LA but for right now, it's here.

Little could I predict the circumstances that were going to happen.  A year abroad over here nearly meant giving up something that was a part of my life everyday: BANANAS.  Yes, yes, (pause) I said bananas.

No frills, no glamour shots.  Just simple.
Okay, maybe not an entire year but still.  Eating and getting my daily potassium was not only tasty but also beneficial for my health.  When a major cyclone (Cyclone Yasi) hit northern Queensland, Australia, the crops were affected for a good amount of time.  People gave up bananas because they got too expensive averaging about $15AUD/kg (or about $7USD/lb).  But now the prices have finally returned to normal and I've eaten more than just a bunch.  Linda the Monkey has returned.

All things aside, I'm sitting in a park finishing this blog post on a rather beautiful and sunny day.  The cool breeze is blowing against my skin and I can't say how appreciative I am of my friends and family so thank you for everything, really.  Hopefully everyone is well rested and ready for the week!

"Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling." - Margaret B. Runbeck

6 comments:

  1. Oh Linda. I can't even begin to imagine you without your daily intake of naners. I had quite forgotten about the affected industry down under. My heart goes out to the farmers...and to you. Hopefully the farmers will have recovered by now and hopefully you will be home(LA) soon enough to fill your quotion. I know how much you LOVE your bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, definitely. Hopefully the farmers have recovered completely. Jules, I think I've averaged about 10-15 bananas per week already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your closing quote. When I was traveling I had recurring conversations about happiness. I don't have the greatest taste buds so I find I enjoy meals more experientially. I do envy foodies cuz it seems they've managed to find a happiness button you can reliably keep pressing :)

    http://lozintranslation.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/portugal-eat-pray-love-fine-food-with.html
    I hope you've enjoyed your time in Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Food is like music - just as we hear different things from person to person, the same applies for tastes. It's good to hear that you can enjoy meals more often!

    Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure why I'm reading this just now... but I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No worries, better late than never :)

    ReplyDelete