Friday, September 20, 2013

Trip memories: Peru Part II

A few days in Peru was not enough.  The country has so much to offer and I dream of going back there again soon, spending a few weeks or months to really get to know the place (read: to eat and taste and cook and experiment with ingredients).  Its cuisine is definitely one of the most underrated in my experiences so far but luckily, chefs like Gaston Acurio are out there spreading the word of all the magnificent delights they have to offer.

One year, I'll decide to skip the winter in the Northern Hemisphere (who am I kidding, I live in Southern California so it's really just an excuse to travel) and head for the summer on the opposite side of the world in the Southern Hemisphere.  Or who knows, maybe I'll end up there for their big food festival Mistura in September one year.

I created a list to remind me of what places are like.  Just going through it again has me salivating for a fresh and citrusy ceviche along with a side of chicha morada.

PERU is....
...colorful
...non-stop Salsa music
...unorganized
...long lines
...asking folks on the street
...onions and potatoes and limes
...ponchos plasticos
...walking sticks

Head that way, to the left and to the right
Near Ollantaytambo
Peruvian ground cherries (aguaymanto) and limes, a staple to Peruvian cuisine
Having lunch with our lovely hosts and friend Ale's parents, Juana y Luis
Dried herbs and spices at the markets
More herbs and spices and figurines
Take the train from Cuzco to Aguas Calientes and you'll get the best moonroof train ride
I made it to Machu Picchu! 

No comments:

Post a Comment